The Road Map to Freedom - Part 3
The bible teaches us to be transformed by the renewing of our mind through the power of God’s Word. There is a particular science behind this command that shows men how a change in behaviors and thoughts actually provides a neurological road map to freedom. As we begin to change our thoughts from that of an idol to truth, we experience freedom. It's important to note, however, that as men we have specific idols that require specific truths from Scripture to overcome. Remembering that we take every thought captive to make it obedient to Christ, today's focus will be looking at how Scripture equips us to battle against the idol of COMFORT.
Truths of Godly Ambition
- Colossians 3:23 » Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men.
- Hebrews 12:1-2 » Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, 2 looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.
Truths of Self-Sacrifice
- 1 Corinthians 9:24-27 » Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. 25 Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. 26 So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air. 27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.
- 1 Timothy 5:8 » But if anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for members of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.
Truths of God Himself
- Joshua 1:9 » Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.
- Psalm 16:11 » You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.
- Psalm 37:4 » Delight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart.
- Proverbs 19:21 » Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the Lord that will stand.
- Philippians 3:8 » Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ.
This article is an excerpt from 33 The Series Volume 3: A Man and His Traps. View Session 1 of A Man and His Traps.