In our previous post, we discussed how transformation begins with the renewing of our minds and a brief discussion the physiology behind it. We listed Scripture that God provides to renew your mind and fight the idol of Control. Remembering that we take every thought captive to make it obedient to Christ, today's focus will be looking at how Scripture equips us to battle against the idol of SIGNIFICANCE.
Fighting an Idol of Significance with the Truths of Fearing God and Humility.
Truths of Fearing God
- Psalm 97:7 » All worshipers of images are put to shame, who make their boast in worthless idols; worship him, all you gods!
- Psalm 113:4-6 » The Lord is high above all nations, and his glory above the heavens! 5 Who is like the Lord our God, who is seated on high, 6 who looks far down on the heavens and the earth?
- Psalm 118:8 » It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in man.
- Proverbs 1:7 » The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction.
- Ecclesiastes 12:13 » The end of the matter; all has been heard. Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man.
- Colossians 3:23 » Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men.
Truths of Humility
- 1 Samuel 16:7 » But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not look on his appearance or on the height of his stature, because I have rejected him. For the Lord sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart.”
- Psalm 34:2 » My soul makes its boast in the Lord; let the humble hear and be glad.
- Psalm 147:10-11 » His delight is not in the strength of the horse, nor his pleasure in the legs of a man, 11 but the Lord takes pleasure in those who fear him, in those who hope in his steadfast love.
- Jeremiah 9:23-24 » Thus says the Lord: “Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches, 24 but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the Lord.”
- Romans 12:3 » For by the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think with sober judgment, each according to the measure of faith that God has assigned.
- 1 Peter 5:5-6 » Likewise, you who are younger, be subject to the elders. Clothe yourselves, all of you, with humility toward one another, for “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.” 6 Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you.
This article is an excerpt from 33 The Series Volume 3: A Man and His Traps. View Session 1 of A Man and His Traps.